My Anyday Spice Blend is a combination of my favorite spices that I reach for over and over again. Spices like garlic powder, onion powder, celery seed and paprika. It’s great for flavoring just about any dish. Rather than pulling out the same 5 or 6 spices every time, I decided to just blend them together in one jar! Duh! Now, it just takes a couple of seconds to throw in a teaspoon or two of spice.
After reaching for the same set of spices over and over, I decided to mix them together. Grabbing a teaspoon of my everyday seasoning takes just a second, instead of digging through the spice rack for 5 or 6 spices and seasonings every night.
How much seasoning should I use?
The best amount to use is totally dependent on your own taste buds. Trust your eyes and add as much seasoning as you normally would to your dish.
I like to use my everyday seasoning like it’s a more flavorful version of salt and pepper. Try using it any time you’d plan to use salt and pepper.
Take burgers for example. Whether veggie burgers or meat burgers, this seasoning would be perfect to just add a bit of extra flavor without having to think about it. Another opportunity is when cooking grains or veggies. Just toss a teaspoon or so in while cooking. Throw some in that chicken or vegetable soup. Liven up your next stew with a sprinkle. How about in your scrambled eggs or hash? You get the idea! You will use it every day and any day!
Feel free to customize your spice blend to use those things in your spice cabinet that you reach for often. Don’t like fennel? Leave it out. Don’t have rosemary? Forget about it! Make it your own! This is just another one of those things you will be thanking yourself for well into the future!
Anyday Spice Blend
- 2 bay leaves crumble after toasting
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes less or more, to taste - optional
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns optional
- 2 teaspoons salt Kosher or sea salt - omit if want salt-free
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika sweet or hot depending on taste
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds whole or ground
- In a small dry skillet, heat the bay leaves, peppercorns, cumin and fennel seeds, red pepper flakes and rosemary over low heat until fragrant - be careful not to burn. Set aside to cool.
- Add the cooled, toasted spices to a spice grinder, crumbling the bay leaves just a bit, and blend until coarsely ground.
- Add the salt, onion and garlic powders, and paprika and pulse gently to combine.
- Transfer spices to an airtight jar and label as "Anyday Spice"!