Hello Friends! Hope this finds you well. This month I will be sending you recipes that use pantry staples that you may already have, and also allow multiple substitutions in case you don’t. I chose this recipe because it is kind of comfort food, can be eaten as breakfast, a snack or a dessert, freezes well and is fairly easy to make and pretty foolproof.
Ways you can adapt this recipe to what you have include excluding the ginger, hemp and almond extract if you don’t have those. You can also substitute peanut butter (or any other nut or seed butter) for the almond butter. You can also substitute whatever nuts you may have on hand for the walnuts. Almonds would obviously go well, so would pecans or even macadamia nuts!
You can use any kind of apples you wish, and there is no need to peel them. I used gala apples, but any type will work. If you don’t have applesauce, but you have apples, it’s easy to make your own, just dice apples very small and cook them down with a bit of water till applesauce consistency. You can use whatever milk you have on hand and use flax eggs if you want it to be vegan or you don’t have 2 eggs on hand. Just mix 2 tablespoons ground flax meal with 6 tablespoons water and let it sit in the fridge for 15-20 minutes to thicken up.
If you have any questions on how to adapt to what you have, let me know in the comments and I will answer right away. I’d love to hear if you made it and how it turned out! My whole family loved this (yes I delivered to my sons and their families) including my 1.5 year-old grandson to my 86-year-old Dad! I hope you’ll make this soon!
My wish is all are fed, all are healed and all are loved!
Apple Almond Baked Oatmeal
- 2 generous cups rolled oats 240g
- 1/2 cup chopped, toasted walnuts 60g
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds optional
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon 4g
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups diced apples 1 large apple or 2 small
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or milk of choice) 120 ml
- 1/2 cup almond butter 128g warmed slightly
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/4 cup maple syrup 60ml
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted and slightly cooled
- Position oven rack in center of oven and preheat to 360 degrees F (180°C). Lightly grease an 8x8-inch (about 20x20-cm) glass baking dish. I used coconut oil for greasing, but you could also use cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, walnuts, hemp seeds (if using), cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
- Mix in diced apples, applesauce, milk, almond butter, eggs, maple syrup, extracts and coconut oil until ingredients are well combined.
- Spread mixture into prepared baking dish and bake for about 30 minutes, or until set and top is nice golden color. Mine took 35 minutes, but start checking at 25 minutes. Allow to cool in the baking dish for about 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm or cold with optional garnishes such as yogurt, maple syrup. more chopped walnuts and fresh fruit. Or just grab a square to go and eat as is!