Isn’t she a beauty? I’m just head over heels for all the amazing purple vegetables in the markets right now. Not only is this soup beautiful, but it’s super delicious and lots of fun to eat! Kids love it because it turns colors when you add acid, like lemon juice or vinegar. And that acid really kicks up the flavors too!
Here’s what purple vegetables I’ve included:
- Purple sweet potatoes – Stokes
- Purple Cauliflower
- Purple cabbage
- Purple carrots
- Purple (red) onion
If you can’t find these purple vegetables, you can use orange sweet potatoes and carrots and white cauliflower and green cabbage. It won’t be as pretty, but it will still taste great!
Health Benefits of Purple Vegetables
Purple produce provides vitamins, minerals, and fiber just like all vegetables do. However, purple fruits and vegetables are high in anthocyanin, which are antioxidants that prevent and repair cellular damage. Antioxidants may help to prevent cancer, heart conditions, and neurological conditions. They may also protect against radiation, pathogens, and stress conditions. Purple foods have a positive effect on brain health and may also enhance calmness and boost mood – this is where that healthy sexy comes in!
The key to the great flavor here is an aromatic base that brings depth to the soup and goes well with the sweetness of the sweet potatoes.
You start by cooking onion, garlic, ginger, serrano pepper (if desired) and some spices in a little olive oil until they are melded together into almost a paste. Then Bay leaves and thyme are added along with all the chopped vegetables and your broth (or water and vegetable bouillon – see my recipe HERE) and simmer until all the flavors marry and veg are tender. Then just blend and serve!
Look what a tablespoon of lemon juice does to the color! Who says healthy food isn’t fun!! I hope you enjoy this recipe. Please let me know if you cook it. I really want to hear how it turns out for you! Comment here or tag me on FB or IG #healthysexykitchen!
Purple Sweet Potato and Cauliflower Soup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or oil of preference
- ½ cup red/purple onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger minced
- 2 cups purple sweet potatoes chopped (1 large)
- 4 cups purple cauliflower chopped (½ large head)
- 2 large purple carrots chopped
- ¼ head purple cabbage chopped
- 6-8 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 serving vegetable bouillon see notes, optional
- 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek optional but good!
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or marjoram (or both)!
- salt and pepper to taste
- coconut cream stirred to desired consistency
- pumpkin seeds (pepitas) toasted
- Pull out all ingredients and prep the vegetables
- Heat oil in soup pot and add red onion. Saute for a few minutes until just beginning to slightly brown. Then add ginger and garlic, fenugreek, coriander and thyme/marjoram.
- Add the remainder of the chopped vegetables, the broth or water and bouillon, if using (See Notes). Stir well, cover and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer with lid slightly ajar until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Blend the soup to desired consistency. I used an immersion blender right in the pot, but you can also transfer to a high-powered blender if you want it very smooth. Just be careful because very hot soup will explode if you don't vent it and will release steam if you do. So take precautions! Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour into bowls and drizzle on coconut cream (or whatever cream you like) and sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds.