Need a green vegetable to serve and don’t have a lot of time? This quick and easy version of green beans almondine is the answer to your prayers. Classically, this dish requires blanching the green beans and toasting the almonds separately. Then combining it all together in a lemon butter sauce. Well, I have skipped the blanching, and the separate toasting, and made it vegan by using a glug of very good quality olive oil and this dish comes together in less than 15 minutes! You’re very welcome!
Whew! One more thing knocked off of your holiday dinner list! Don’t forget to add a pinch or two of some coarse salt to top it all off! Meet you at the dinner table!
Simple Green Beans Almondine
- 16 ounces fresh green beans (454g)
- 3 tablespoons water more if needed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or cooking oil of your choice
- ⅓ cup sliced or slivered almonds Or nut of your choice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest about half a lemon
- wedges fresh lemon for serving
- Wash and trim green beans. Place them in a skillet with just enough water to cover the bottom of the skillet. Turn heat to medium-high.
- Cover and steam until just about tender, stirring once or twice and checking to be sure the pan is not dry. This should take about 7-8 minutes or so, depending on the size of your beans.
- Remove the lid, pour off any remaining liquid and add cooking oil. Toss and saute for about 1 minute. Add the almonds (or other nuts) and continue to fry until there is a slight char on beans and almonds, about 1-2 minutes more. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and stir.
- Remove to a platter, top with lemon zest and serve. If you'd like a little extra zing, squeeze more lemon juice over the dish just before serving.