Spicy Citrus Rubbed Salmon Tacos with Mango Salsa
A fun, delicious way to eat heart-healthy salmon that comes together in 30 minutes and will wow your family with it's complex flavors.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 4 2 tacos per serving
- 4 tablespoons sour cream, Mexican crema or vegan sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chile powder I used ancho chili, but chipotle or smoked paprika would work
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons orange zest finely grated
- 1 teaspoon sugar optional
- 2 teaspoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1 pound salmon fillets wild Alaskan is best, cut into 4 pieces (about 4 ounces each)
- 8 corn tortillas about 6-inch diameter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Hass avocado cubed or mashed
- 1 cup red cabbage finely shredded
- 1 leaf Tuscan kale, shredded optional
- 1 large mango peeled, pitted and diced
- 2 tablespoons red onion finely diced
- 1/4 red bell pepper finely diced
- 1 small lime juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Prepare the Mango Salsa
Combine the diced mango, red onion, bell pepper, lime juice and cilantro in a bowl and toss well, but gently. Add salt, to taste. Let it rest while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Prepare the Tacos
Preheat a cast iron skillet for the tortillas. Or... preheat the oven to 350 degrees F to warm the tortillas.
In a small bowl, whisk the crema (or sour cream) with the lime juice. You want it to be an easily pourable consistency. Add a touch of water if needed to get it to the right thinness.
In another small bowl combine the chile powder, coriander, orange zest and sugar, if using. Rub each piece of salmon with the olive oil and then the spice mixture. Let stand for 5 minutes.
While the fish is standing, prepare the tortillas. Heat the tortillas in a slightly oiled cast iron skillet and then wrap in foil or a covered dish to keep warm. Or... warp the tortillas in foil and bake in the oven for about 8 minutes, until softened and heated through.
Meanwhile, heat your grill or grill pan, or skillet, season the salmon with salt and grill over high heat until just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
Shred the red cabbage and kale, if using, and toss them together.
Gently break the salmon pieces apart into bite-sized pieces. Spread the avocado onto warm tortillas and top with the salmon, mango salsa, shredded cabbage and kale. Drizzle each taco with the lime crema you made in the beginning. Serve right away with your favorite Mexican beverage!