So July is here and this Independence Day will be very different for sure. We will be swimming in our pool and grilling and salading (new word!) with our small family cohort. Even though I try to keep things mostly healthy, sometimes I have to have some old-fashioned food memories in the mix. This burger sauce is one of those. It is reminiscent of the “special sauce” a certain fast food place uses on their burger, but what I think is best about it is it eliminates the need for all the other condiments since the mayo, ketchup and mustard are already in there! It’s one-stop shopping for your burger!
Tomorrow I will be posting my special formula for making veggie burgers for those who are trying to eat less meat (or none at all) but still want to be part of the grilling fun! Click here for that blueprint! For today, we have the sauce that anyone can use no matter what kind of grilled sandwich they have. It is awesome with meat burgers because it balances out the fat from the meat, but it works even better for veggie burgers since they tend to be slightly drier than meat burgers and the fabulous umami flavors in my veggie burgers work so well with the fat/acid balance in this sauce.
But you are going to want to make more than you need, not only for the leftover veggie burgers you will hopefully have, but also as a fish taco sauce (yumm!) or a dip for your fries or raw veg. Not to mention is will work as a spread for any sandwich or even for making deviled eggs. What will YOU use it on?!
The recipe here is super simple and quick to make with stuff you may have around. Just try to make it a bit ahead so all the flavors have time to meld into that amazingness!
However… here are some ways to elevate the sauce or make it your own:
- fresh shallot or onion
- fresh herbs
- fresh chiles
- sun-dried tomato paste (or regular tomato paste cooked in a skillet for 5 mins or so)
- whole-grain dijon mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
- BBQ sauce
Yummy Burger Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup yellow prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion granulated or powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic granulated or powder
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce of choice, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika smoked, or sweet
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Place in a jar (or just cover your bowl) and refrigerate for at least an hour or up to 5 days before using.